Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Brimhall Family of now FOUR! (Part one)

So I figured it was finally time to write this story before I forgot too much of it.

This story starts Sunday October 24th. Jared was sleeping in and I got up to go to the bathroom and clean up a little bit downstairs. When I thought I was done in the bathroom, I suddenly had another gush. I noticed a pink tinge after that one. since I am such an expert on all things related to pregnancy thanks to all the websites I subscribed to, I thought this must be my water breaking. I also know so many stories of women waiting until they have contractions before they go into the hospital after their water breaks, so I decided to not wake up Jared and just go downstairs anyway. I continued to leak small amounts all through out the day. When Jared woke up, he asked how I was feeling and I replied nonchalantly that I thought my water broke earlier but I felt fine. He was a little more startled after that comment but I explained that I hadn't felt any contractions or pains or even discomfort. So we went about our day. Birthday breakfast for my nephew, and we even still went to the Gammage production of Beauty and the Beast with my sister and brother-in-law. (The show was wonderful by the way). I completely felt fine the whole time. I had called my OB's triage line earlier and never got through or a response. After talking to my sister, they said I should still go to the hospital to get checked out. When we dropped them off after the show, we headed to the hospital. We went almost immediately back to triage. They tried finding the boys heartbeats out front but since it was taking so long, they just sent me back anyway since they figured I would be admitted.

Once I got back to the triage room, they started hooking me up. They started running tests. They confirmed my water broke. It took all the nurses to keep up with Jaxson on the fetal heart tone monitors. Each nurse tried for at least 10 minutes but he was just too fast :-) Logan was down in my hips and pelvic bone so as long as I was stretched out he was pretty easy to find. (This became a problem a few days later) They also did 3 tests to confirm if my water broke or not.

The OB came for a consult. All 3 tests came back positive that my water broke. She wasn't happy that I took so long to come in to the hospital. She then proceeded to tell me that I was being admitted and that they were going to try and keep me pregnant. She left us for a couple of minutes to get my room set up. My heart did flips and tears escaped. For a brief moment I felt all the overwhelming feelings that came with realizing that this pregnancy was no longer a normal pregnancy. I told Jared i wasn't ready for my babies to come yet. We weren't prepared. I felt bad that as a mother I might not be able to help them grow and develop inside me for the right amount of time. When the OB came back, the tears stopped and we talked about what will happen next. She said in the morning I would be getting a visit for the perinatalogist(to cover before the babies were born) and the neonatalogist(to cover after the babies were born). She also said that as soon as I got to my room I would be receiving the first of 2 steroid shots to help the boys lungs develop just in case they could not keep me pregnant. These steroids needed 48 hours to take full effect. I had to stay pregnant for a minimum of 48 hours. That meant I was put on Magnesium.
***Side note- Magnesium is a very effective drug however, it has AWFUL side effects. Being on this drug caused the most difficult time in my pregnancy.
Since I didn't get to the hospital until 10 pm, I got to my room after 1am. That meant I got my first steroid shot at 1 am. For me, I have no problem with shots, needles, IVs so when they said they will be giving the shot in the bum I really wasn't to worried. Until the needle went in and the drug was pushed in..... I was not prepared for it to hurt like that. I jumped and cried out. The nurse reminded me not to move. She decided to let me know afterwards that the steroids could burn a little bit.... Understatement. She then let me know that in twenty-four hours I would receive the next shot. Which meant tomorrow at 1 AM I would receive another shot in the other bum cheek. Good times.


To be continued....

1 comment: